Sunday, January 5, 2014

Slacktivism

Ever heard of the word? I came across it reading a blog once, and I discovered that there was actually a name for the behavior that I despise so much, and it is called SLACKTIVISM. 

It's not even officially a word, even though so many people in this world are guilty slactivists. You ask, what does it mean? Here is a good definition: 

"SLACKTIVISM" is a mash up of the words "slacker" and "activist" and it's that feel good feeling that someone gets, believing they have contributed to a certain cause, when in fact they have done next to nothing, and when they have not helped that certain cause one bit. 

Examples of slacktivism: 
- singing an internet petition
- joining an organization and going to events but not contributing anything
- spreading "awareness"
- changing ones avatar or profile photo
- wearing t-shirts related to the cause
- asking people to donate money when you donate none yourself

Now all of these are slacktivists activities if that person does only so, there is nothing wrong with signing an internet petition and then TRULY giving and supporting the cause, not just singing an internet petition and saying "I DID MY PART, NOW I CAN FEEL LESS GUILTY"
Will signing an internet petition TRULY help any cause? NO

Sound familiar? Are you a slacktivist? Don't be sad, almost everyone is, to an extent, except me of course because I am so brilliant.

Just kidding.

Now their are some people that say "well at least I am doing SOMETHING" NO, you are not doing anything. Posting a link on Facebook and asking people to donate does NOT count as doing anything, IF you just want people to donate because YOU DO NOT WANT TO. Some people donate, and post the link to encourage more people to donate. That's fine.

Some people don't want to donate and just say "hey I don't want to donate, but if I tell other people to donate that will make me feel better about myself, make me feel like I did something"

THAT'S DESPICABLE. If you don't want to donate, DO NOT TELL OTHER PEOPLE TO DONATE JUST SO YOU CAN RELIVE SOME OF YOUR GUILT.

Most of the people here who set up an "event" don't want to help Syria (and they aren't) they just want people to say "wow, look at him/her, taking out time from their schedule to help Syria, they must be great" because their events don't help at all and are just concerned with pleasing America.

And people who do not want to come to the events (hence, myself) because I see them as desperate events just concerned on pleasing irrelevant people and in NO WAY are helping Syria at all, are judged like crazy.
Just because someone doesn't go to an event/protest does NOT mean they don't care about Syria. Why should I go to an event that in no way will benefit Syria? Do you want me to go to an event where Asala Nasri came and started singing love songs? Where she demanded 50,000 dollars for her "crew?" Yeah, NO THANKS. I don't go to sorry, desperate events like that.


Slacktivism doesn't just apply to causes, it applies to other things.

Like parents who have children in school

"Oh I did my part, he/she is in school learning"

Parents who have a child who is doing something that is harming themselves

"Oh I told him what he is doing is wrong, I did my part"

Teachers who give out a stupid unhelpful lecture

"Oh I gave out the lecture, I did my part"

and the list goes on and on and on.

What do you think about slactivism?

Later,
Anonymous Syrian



No comments:

Post a Comment